Friday, November 16, 2012

Olivine

http://weareolivine.tumblr.com/

Oh wow. It's November 16 and it has been a REALLY LONG TIME. Like... a really long time. I am so sorry that I have been MIA. It's just been a pretty hectic semester, what with it being my last one and all and discovering new music wasn't exactly the highest on my to do list, if ya feel me.

But have no fear! Because I'm bringing you guys a good one!

Meet Olivine. Now, they kind of helped me in my band search, because they're the ones who found me on tumblr and followed me. Now, I check out every single person that follows me because I figure if they are, we must have similar interests, right? And to be honest, the second their autoplay started, I almost left because my sound was all the way up and autoplay is never kind to those with their volume on max. Of course, it only took about 4 seconds into the autoplayed song for me to realize leaving the page would be a horrendous idea.

"You just might break a billion hearts tonight." That's the first line listeners hear from singer Jake Mai and lordy, it is a damn good line sung by a damn good voice. And he's backed by a damn good band. So it doesn't shock me at all that they managed to snag the attention of John Feldmann, who has worked with just about every band I have ever loved. (No seriously. All Time Low, The Used, The Cab, Foxy Shazam, Neon Trees, Blitz Kids, Good Charlotte, Story of the Year. The list seriously goes on and on.) Feldmann then invited the band out to his studio and well, have you listened to the four songs on their website? He did a damn good job of producing them, that's all I have to say.

This Dallas based band-- TEXAS REPRESENT!-- has some talent, and if you enjoy bands like SafetySuit and Go Radio, chances are you are going to fall head over heels in love with Olivine. Actually, you're probably going to love them anyway, just because they remind me so much of the music that I obsessed over in the early high school years. (We're talkin' Yellowcard and Dashboard Confessional, and who didn't love Yellowcard and Dashboard Confessional?)

Olivine is definitely a band to keep your eye on. Mark my words. If we're going to see the alternative scene of the mid-2000s come back, it's gonna be spearheaded by this group. And I can only hope that people get on that, because I would LOVE to hear these boys on the radio.

Go Download: I'm gonna be that person and say to download the title track from their debut album 'Drift' (which you can pick up now on iTunes) just because it is a REALLY good song. BUT, you should also check out "Without You," because the strings are phenomenal. In fact, just listen to all four songs they have up on their tumblr page.




No comments:

Post a Comment