Thursday, May 17, 2012

Blitz Kids

http://www.facebook.com/blitzkidsuk

I've been on the prowl for new music. So with the constant email ping on my phone alerting me to the occasional new twitter follower, I've kept my eyes peeled. Then Blitz Kids popped up. What REALLY caught my eye about them was that Josh Franceschi of You Me At Six follows them, and since I love him, I was pretty certain they must be awesome. (Ya know, since YMAS is awesome. It only stands to reason, right?) Luckily, my logic was not flawed, and as we speak, I have them pumping at me via my headphones. (It would be my speakers if I weren't sitting in the living room, typing away while my mother watches The Talk.) But that's okay, because I can only imagine how great they'll sound blasting out of my car speakers, a theory I'll have to test out quite soon.

Anyway, the first song that caught my eye was "Story," which features Aled Phillips-- you know, the same Aled that sings for Kids In Glass Houses, just ANOTHER band that I adore-- and boy do I like what I heard. It's a polished rock track with killer guitar and hard hitting drums. Not only that, but Joe James' voice is like a breath of fresh air. It's like if the British rock bands of old had a love child with the rock bands now, creating a glorious mix that makes me want to bust out a leather jacket and drive around town with my windows down acting like a total bamf.

Of course, I'm sure that's the exact response they wanted as they ARE named Blitz Kids, also the name of people who frequented the Blitz nightclub and helped create the New Romantic period of the 80s most commonly depicted with eccentric androgyny. Obviously, this band isn't Duran Duran or Boy George. They very much look like men. It isn't that they're bringing back the New Romantic era PHYSICALLY, but they're doing so musically. The music is eccentric, and is a wonderful mix of all the good things in music. (Can I classify them as New Romantics 2.0?)

Aside from that though, without the rather awesome name choice (whether that's what they intended or not), I'm sitting here, bobbing my head and just rocking out. (I'm also getting curious looks from my mom and dogs.) I'm getting completely lost in their music, and I have found myself stopping periodically as I'm writing this because I just keep getting pulled in.

And before you think I'm just being biased because they're British and liked by two bands I love, you should also know that Rock Sound, Kerrang!, Big Cheese and Alter the Press quite enjoy them as well.

Obviously, I was right in assuming that Josh Franceschi has great taste in music, because these guys are the real deal.

Go Download: WELL, if you like their Facebook page, you can download their first two EP's for FREE! So go get on it!




(Have I mentioned how in love with this song I am?)

No comments:

Post a Comment