Saturday, November 17, 2012

Review: DNA (Deluxe Edition)

Do you remember Little Mix? If not, you should brush up on my thoughts on them on their original post. (But in case you don't wanna do that, just know that the most important take away was that I was excited to hear their album and see if they would unlock the potential that I saw in them.)

NOW

I know, I know. The album doesn't actually drop until November 19... in the UK. Not the US. The UK. I actually don't think they have a US release date? Anyway, so... take that as you will. I'm not gonna say I did illegal things to get this album buuuuut, if I did, it was for the greater good, so I could bring you lot a review on whether you should spend the money on said album. (Or chance heavy fines or incarceration for it. You know, whatever strikes your fancy.)

Anyway, all that aside, Little Mix blew this album out of the water. Completely, and totally achieved the greatness that their "Cannonball" performance hinted at. Is it a perfect album?

No.

Is it a perfect first album?

Hell. Yes.

Every single song showcases every girl and proves that they aren't just four pretty faces with fabulous clothes, but four completely stunning voices. Not only that, but the album just breathes girl power. Tracks like "Change Your Life" and "We Are Who We Are" just make me feel good about myself, and I'm not even the self-conscious type. But dear lord, yes. I'm gonna shine like a star, Little Mix told me so. (Though, girls, you all do look like beauty queens already, so that line about not looking like one is a bit moot, yeah?)

Arguably, the best track on the album is the ballad "Turn Your Face." When I listened to the album for the first time last night, I actually had to stop everything I was doing and just listen to it because I found it so heart wrenching and beautiful. There is so much power in their voices and so much pain that the song just leaves you slightly breathless from it all. In fact, I'd say that if there was one track you invested in on this album, it be this one. It validates their win on The X Factor, it truly does. They're such young artists that their voices shouldn't be able to sound like they do on this track. Can you just imagine what they're going to sound like by their second one? (Fun fact: As I listen to the album again, this song is giving me goosebumps. Again.)

Now, there are some songs that should have been cut, or made into bonus tracks. "How Ya Doin'" comes off a little TOO Spice Girls, and to be honest, these girls have voices that are far superior to that of the Spice Girls and they could do so much better than sounding like one of their cover bands. And the following track, "Red Planet" just doesn't sit right with me. It is neither bad, nor is it good. But they make up for it with the following six tracks. (Well, six if you invest in the deluxe edition, which you should. Technically only two tracks if you have the normal edition.)

Lastly, one of the best aspects of this album is that so many of the songs were made to be played live. The song "Madhouse" practically oozes with performance possibilities. I can practically hear the crowd cheering in the arena as they sing this song, running around fighting off the villain much like N'Sync did in their Popodyssey tour. (You know, when they're fighting the video game bad guy? No? Am I really that old?) It's going to be brilliant live, and I would do a lot of things to witness it, to be honest, ESPECIALLY if they run with this film noir theme that runs throughout the album. ("DNA," "Madhouse," and bonus track "Case Closed" all are begging to have a dark, detective themed tour.)

All in all, an album well worth the wait from this female group. Maybe I didn't understand the hype while they were on TXF, but I fully understand now. Keep up the good work, girls. I want you stateside so I can actually invest in this spectacular release.

4/5

Standout tracks: "Turn Your Face," "Case Closed" and "We Are Who We Are."
'DNA' drops in the UK November 19 via SyCo. (And hopefully eventually in the US.)

1 comment:

  1. A high quаlity camera foг a very attractіνe price oг ϳust a bad quality
    picture? Discover on the full review at http://revіews.

    top-informatіon.net/canοn-powегshot-sx50-hѕ-гeνiew/
    Here is my web page - The DASH Diet Action Plan: Proven to Boost Weight Loss and Improve Health (A DASH Diet Book) Review

    ReplyDelete