Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Voice UK

It's a pretty well known fact that I believe I was born in the wrong country. I love everything about the England. The tea, the fashion, the music, the actors, the people, everything. So much so in fact that I have grand plans to move there after I graduate, a fact that my parents may or may not think I'm just joking about. Now that you've been filled in on my England obsession, it only stands to reason that all the live tweeting Sugarscape does for The Voice UK has pushed me to find out what the fuss is about. So yesterday, when I should have been working on my final, I found myself on YouTube. And that is when I stumbled across the holy grail. (Ok, less dramatically, it was a channel that posts full episodes in STUNNING quality.) Which led to a few hours of amazing UK talent. THAT then led me to write a post on my favorite artists on the show, which dear readers, is what you have your eyes on now!

Max Milner
Team: Danny O'Donoghue
Why I Love Him: Well, you see, first off, I am a huge fan of a husky voice and a guitar, both in which Max rocked during his blind audition. And as if he couldn't get better, he performed a mashup. Not just any old mashup. No, a mashup of The Beatles' "Come Together" and Eminem's "Lose Yourself." Show me someone else who can do that without looking like a complete fool. Then, he went and blew his competitor out of the water during the head to head round singing "Beggin'." (I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't slightly turned on by how intense and in Bill's face he got.) It legitimately sounded like they were throwing vocal punches at each other. And most recently, he pulled off a stunning cover of "Free Fallin'" accompanied with an acoustic guitar (and a shaker? Is that what I'm hearing?). It was a very intimate performance even though I was watching it via tiny YouTube video player. Point being, Max is hands down my favorite competitor on the show and I have my fingers crossed that he wins.
Favorite Performance So Far: I just really love his "Free Fallin'" okay. I posted it like three times on Facebook yesterday.


Vince Kidd
Team: Jessie J
Why I Love Him: I saw a comment on one of the YouTube videos that Vince was a male version of Jessie J, and as Jessie J is my queen, obviously I'm going to at least like this Vince Kidd a little. However, since I skipped the actual audition shows and only saw Max's audition, the first time I heard Vince was during the battle rounds, where he went against Jessica Hammond with "We Found Love." I was blown away by his voice and promptly started yelling at Jessie J, ya know, to make sure that she would pick him. (I get really into my TV shows, alright.) What I loved best about him was his voice could cover all the ranges. He did the soulful lower register that sent shivers down my spine, but also hit the falsetto high notes. And I know that this show is about the voice and all, but I just absolutely LOVE his look as well. After quickly adding him to my list of favorites, just slightly behind Max, I looked up his tryout, which was soulful/reggae style "Like A Virgin." To say that it was fresh to death would be an understatement. And I personally think he and Jessie are a match made in heaven.
Favorite Performance So Far: His voice during the battle rounds is by far the best. Just.... listen.


Ruth Brown
Team: Tom Jones
Why I Like Her: I don't think I've ever heard someone have SO much power in their voice before. It's almost like she isn't even trying and that's crazy. She's also really young, 19 I believe, so just imagine how she's gonna sound in a few years when she gets total control of her vocals. And if I'm right, I do believe she's never done vocal lessons? Mad respect. I don't particularly care for female singers. It isn't a secret. But with Ruth... I don't know. The segment where they're preparing the battle duet and she's singing and just burst out crying really got to me. She's so human and I can empathize with that. (What an odd statement, right? I'm sure you get what I mean.) Anyway, she hit the live shows with a rendition of "Get Here" by Oleta Adams and the amount of goosebumps that shot up and down my arms was out of control.
Favorite Performance So Far: God damn, "Get Here" just gets me every time.


Aleks Josh
Team: Danny O'Donoghue
Why I Like Him: Well if he isn't the most adorable little thing I've ever seen! Aha, I know that isn't the point of the show, but when Jessie J was talking about pretending to drown in the pool so a cute lifeguard would save her and he was like "If you were drowning in MY pool-" and I was sold. Maybe not so much on his voice, because I think a Jason Mraz song isn't a good song to audition for anything with, but I was sold on his personality. You know we here at BTNLT love a good personality almost as much as we love the music itself. Even though I liked him better in his battle duet, I still wasn't too sold on his voice, because it seemed to me like he was trying too much to be like James Morrison when he should have been trying to be like himself. No, I wasn't completely sold on Mr. Josh until his latest performance, "Dream A Little Dream of Me." His little charming smile paired with that old-timey voice and my heart was gone. Do I think he'll win? No, I think he needs to fine tune things a little more, but my goodness if I could vote, I'd vote to keep him in as long as I could.
Favorite Performance So Far: Do I even have to say it?


(I feel bad for not having anyone from Will.I.Am's team, but I honestly had to look up his team to even remember who was on it. Oops.)

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand when you say you think you were born in the wrong country! I love England with all my heart, and I definitely would not mind studying over there :) Thanks for the videos by the way, I'm always looking for new musicians to support :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I love finding new people to write about and let people know about :) Glad I'm not alone in my extreme England love!

      Delete