Wednesday, March 14, 2012

SXSW Day One & Two

Foxy Shazam
Bands that Need Love Too alum Foxy Shazam was the first band I got to enjoy during this years SXSW. What many people don't know about Foxy Shazam is that they are one of the most intense musical performances you will ever have the fortune of seeing. With their exuberant personalities and in your face music, they take the audience on a wild ride that only ever slows down once the band has left the stage. And even then they don't ease you into and ending. Oh no, they come to an earth shattering, spine tingling, halt that leaves you confused as to what you've just seen, but craving so much more. While one can get a sense of the band's performances through live video on youtube, nothing will compare to seeing them live, and experience I suggest everyone has at least once, whether you are a fan of their music or not. (Though, I am convinced that if you aren't a fan before seeing them live, you might be as soon as you have.)


Catch them again: Foxy performs again at 12 AM on  March 15 at Latitude 30.



Charlie Simpson
Another act previously featured on BTNLT is the one and only Charlie Simpson. As I've mentioned before, I have had a love for this man for some time now (dating back to the early high school days to be exact) and that hasn't changed one bit. In fact, I may love him more than ever now. I was lucky enough to get to sit down with the Englishman in between his numerous shows to talk all the different genres he's played, his latest music video and the prospects of a US tour. If his music, a nice folky style, doesn't sell you on him, maybe his wonderful accent will ;) That, and the fact that he's one of the nicest guys I think I've ever had the fortune of meeting.

Catch them again: Charlie performs again at 12 AM on March 16 at Deseo Centro Lounge.




(Of course, if you wanted to check it out on Rock Edition, you can do that HERE)

SPEAK
Austin natives SPEAK are no strangers to SXSW, nor are they strangers to this blog. That being said, the boys have been keeping busy, making a pit stop on tour to play several unofficial and official South By showcases. With their eclectic sound, most oftentimes referred to as indie electro-pop, it's no wonder they are so popular with the Austin scene. Margaret Moser herself stated that she believed the band to be at the forefront of the new sound coming out of Austin, and just one listen to them live can attest to that, though the band is much more humble about it with singer Troupe Gammage stating "...I wouldn't say we're necessarily in the forefront of that sound, but we're certainly part of the vanguard..." during our interview. (Say what you will boys, but I'm gonna have to agree with Ms. Moser on this one.) That all being said, SPEAK puts on an infectious performance that will get you moving, or at least get your head bobbing, you know, for those kids that think it's cool to not move at shows.

Read our full interview HERE


Catch them again: SPEAK performs again at 12 AM on March 16 at Maggie Mae's Gibson Room.


(Video from SPEAK's official Youtube channel)

BLACK TAXI
Let's be honest for a second, I didn't know anything about BLACK TAXI when I interviewed them. I just knew their name, the fact that they were from New York and I knew that they had some pretty odd album artwork. What I didn't know was that the band was set to play eight shows during their stay in Austin, a feat that is astounding giving the pulse pounding performance they give. Covering a span of genres between dance, rock and party punk, this band is guaranteed to get you on your feet. Singer Ezra Huleatt has such an enormous stage presence that he has been compared to the likes of Freddie Mercury and Mick Jagger, acts that are very hard to live up to. With that in mind, if you're looking for a good time, this is the band for you. That, and they were pleasant people to chat with, something we (and by we, I mean me) take quite seriously at BTNLT.

Catch them again: BLACK TAXI performs again at 10 PM on March 15 at Hotel Vegas.




(Check out the original post on Rock Edition)

Twin Atlantic
Anyone and everyone who knows me knows that I am a sucker for accents. Now that we've got that out of the way, it's imperative to  inform you that I fell in love with Twin Atlantic a few months ago when I saw them on tour with You Me At Six, The Swellers and We Are The Ocean. They blew me away and what I think is best about this band is that when Sam McTrusty sings, he does NOT lose his accent. That, and he sounds exactly the same on album as he does in real life, sign of a good singer. Of course, McTrusty isn't the only piece of the band that makes it great. The musicality is spot on, and their drummer reminds me of Animal from The Muppets. If you're lookin for some good ol' fashioned, "honest" rock 'n roll (as Sam put it in our interview), look no further than these guys. And if you aren't lookin for that? I highly suggest listening to them anyway.

Read the full interview HERE

Catch them again: Twin Atlantic performs at 11 PM at Latitude 30 on March 15.



No comments:

Post a Comment