Monday, March 26, 2012

Folk Family Revival

http://www.facebook.com/folkfamilyrevival

Oh goodness, it has been a LONG past two weeks. Spring Break kicked my butt, and I'm pretty sure I came away from it more tired than when I went in, and then this past weekend I spend in Dallas going against hordes of teens to see One Direction. So I am SO sorry that BTNLT has been kind of dead. But you can thank our good friend Jeremy Burchard (You know, the one from Moonlight Social that always manages to keep popping up in my posts?) for my "revival!" (Am I funny yet?)

Based out of Magnolia, TX, Folk Family Revival sounds like you'd imagine they would from their name. At least, that's what you could say if it wouldn't be such a dastardly understatement. You see, sure, they fit the bill as folk. You can get that just by looking at a picture of them. But it is some of the cleanest, best sounding folk I have found in a long time. This is the type of band that you would see opening for Mumford & Sons, The Head and the Heart, Stephen Kellogg & the Sixers and Ray LaMontagne and while you may have gone in never having heard them, you'd leave knowing that you'd look them up as soon as you got home.

The band consists of three brothers and their friend (who they met after sticking up for him during a fight that went down at church. I just find that absolutely adorable) but according to their bio on Facebook, they consider themselves a "band made up of four brothers." Lead vocalist Mason Lankford brings a voice that has the perfect amount of country tinge to it, giving their folk that slight edge that many folk bands are missing. His brothers Barrett and Lincoln both take up bass and drums respectively, and push along the music wonderfully. (In fact, as I type this, their song "Mountains" is playing and I legitimately feel like I need to be stomping my foot on the wooden floor of a country bar.) Of course, I am NOT leaving Caleb Pace, honorary Lankford brother, out of the mix. Without his electric guitar, lap-steel and mandolin skills, this band wouldn't have as much energy. And I mean, what's a folk band without a little mandolin, right?

With all that being said, their debut release 'Unfolding' was released last July, so I am quite late to this family, which I am very sad about actually. But note, though I am late, I am here to stay.

Are you ready to "Join The Family?" Because you should be.

Go Download: I am absolutely in love with the song "Dream All Night" so if you can only afford ONE song, that should be the one you get. But if you can afford the $9.99, you NEED to buy their album from iTunes.



This song comes in a CLOSE second as my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment