Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Gotye

http://gotye.com/

So, here's the thing about Gotye. He wasn't an instant love of mine. You've seen it time and time again where I listen to a band and fall into instant love and have to drop everything to come to BTNLT to write about them. That was not the case with Gotye. I heard Gotye, and yes, I rather liked "Somebody That I Used To Know," HOWEVER, upon listening to the rest of his album, I couldn't decide if I liked HIM or just that one song. That's why it has been longer than anticipated because I couldn't pinpoint what it was about Gotye. Maybe it wasn't an instant love, but for some reason I just couldn't stop thinking about his album.

So after five days of this odd fascination I have come up with this conclusion. While every other post on this blog was an instant love, this one was much more than that. I didn't fall into the sudden frenzy of like but rather it got under my skin. Gotye has done what so many bands try to do, which is not just make you buy their album, but intrigue you. Sure, I can love you, and I can love your band and buy all your music, but there is something to be said about a band that can make me completely enthralled by them. So much so that even when I wasn't sure how I felt about the music, I couldn't help but NEED to listen to it.

Now, of course, I can tell you that I simply adore Gotye. Hailing from Australia, Gotye has managed to make music that is completely indescribable by any genre label that I can think of. Really the only way I can think of describing him is by comparing him to mixtures of other people, and even than it's a stretch. (But in case you were wondering, I like to think of his sound as Sting and M83's lovechild.)

That being said, it isn't often you find music that is a class of its own, especially in this day and age where so much of it sounds the same. (Not that I'm knocking that. Why fix what ain't broke, right?)

I would like to go out on a limb here and say that Gotye is gonna be the start of a new radio era. He has already sold out the majority of his shows in the US, so obviously he has already acquired a strong fan base. I, for one, just wish he would be coming to Texas, because I would be there so quick.

Anyway, Gotye is the sort of musical act that you won't fall in love with by reading about because there aren't words to properly convey to you what Gotye is. Gotye is.... well.... Gotye. So I would highly suggest you stop right now, and listen to him. Yeah? (You can listen to his whole album HERE)

Go Download: I feel like saying "Somebody That I Used To Know" would be a cop out since it's the single, but definitely that one and "Eyes Open" from his album Making Mirrors.




No comments:

Post a Comment