Friday, June 29, 2012

Solo Artist of the Week: Olly Murs

http://www.facebook.com/ollymurs

Welcome my dearest readers to the first official Solo Artist of the Week! And who better to kick off this new branch of promotions than the one and only Olly Murs.

You see, as many of you may know, I have One Direction Infection bad. Like... real bad. If I had it in me to feel ashamed, I probably would be. Luckily enough, I have no shame. But I digress. This confession is necessary because it's thanks to One Direction that I know Olly Murs. Sure, I'd heard the name before and I knew of him, I just hadn't listened to him. Not because I didn't want to, mind you, but because I just never got around to it. So when I finally got around to really listening to Mr. Murs, it was at 1D's Atlanta concert just a few nights ago.

You see, hearing people live is probably one of my favorite ways to discover artists, because really if they're great live then of course they're going to be good on album. It's like the true test. I can love an artist based on performance alone. So when Olly came out and lit that stage on fire, it was needless to say that I needed him on my iPod, and I needed him there ASAP.

For those of you who don't know, Olly was the runner up in the The X Factor UK in 2009. You know, that same X Factor that gave us our beloved British boy band. (I just love alliteration, don't you?) He was slated as the dark horse of the competition, though if I'm being honest, this Joe McElderry must be pretty damn phenomenal because I can't think of any other reason why Olly would have been beat if it weren't for that.

He's just a really funny guy, freaking adorable, and SUCH an entertainer. You know when you can just tell that someone was born to perform? Yeah. That's how I feel about him. AND on top of that, his music is quite literally the musical personification  of sunshine and happiness. Wikipedia likes to classify it as pop/reggae fusion/ska/dance/soul, which is kind of a lot of different things to roll into one, but honestly, it's probably how I'd classify it as well. I seriously can't NOT be happy when listening to his tunes. Even his slower stuff is amazing. I'm also quite certain that "I Need You Now" was written from my head, okay. If you can't relate to it, you're cold and heartless.

Of course, he also performed "Superstitious" and "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" and you guys should probably know that I freaking love Stevie Wonder too, so I may be just a tad biased.

But that's why I'm here, to tell you to look people up and decide for yourself if you think they're amazing as well! (Which you should, because right now I'm listening to him sing "Isn't She Lovely" and I just can't even handle it.)

PLEASE America, I BEG OF YOU, love Olly Murs so he can headline in the US and we can all fangirl over him and bask in the sunshiney happiness that is his music. And I mean, did I mention he's like, the cutest thing ever?

Go Download: WELL, first off, you can pick up a free remix of his single "Heart Skips A Beat" if you sign up for his newsletter. You can also pick up the original version of the single over on iTunes. And LASTLY, you should definitely pre-order his album which is released in the US on September 25 for jus $7.99, also on iTunes. Take it from me, it is worth SO much more than $7.99. (But you should know my favorite, hands down, is "I Need You Now.")





And if you have 10 minutes to spare for some Stevie Wonder Medley Goodness, check this out. You won't regret it. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment