Friday, April 6, 2012

Why You Should Just Give In to Boy Band Era 3.0

If you're my age-- 20 for all those wondering-- chances are you remember *NSYNC and Backstreet Boys (I mean, my age group kind of grew up with them). And if you were anything like me, they were one of your very first band obsessions (if not the first). Some of you may even have the honor of calling one of them your first concert (I got to see *NSYNC for my 10th birthday). So obviously, if you were like me, when Boy Band Era 2.0 came to an end you were distraught. Sure a few popped up here and there, but none with the same gumption that captured our hearts like *NSYNC and BSB. That all changed when Big Time Rush hit the scene. You may argue with me on that, but I promise you, the Return of the Boy Band started with them. Unfortunately, I think they got the proverbial short stick as upon opening the gateway to this new era of boy band, they unleashed the likes of One Direction and The Wanted. That, however, is another blog all together. You see, if you're like me, you're relishing this resurgence of boy bands. You also have friends or know people who are NOT as enthusiastic as you are about this return. But why does it have to be that way? How can people blatantly hate such fun, happy music? Maybe it's because it's the cool thing to hate things that are popular, or maybe they just dislike adorable boys that sing adorable things. But I'd be willing to put my money on the fact that they are just worried about being judged for openly appreciating these groups and therefore make up for their secret shrines by drinking some haterade. (Am I allowed to say that still? Is my age showing?) That being said, here is a list of reasons why you SHOULDN'T feel guilty about nodding along to the catchy songs of Boy Band Era 3.0, because let's face it, you're probably gonna be hearing these songs for awhile.

1. These Aren't The Goody Two Shoe Boy Bands That You Grew Up With
Sure, maybe they look like it, and maybe their songs might show a bit of lighthearted nature (EX- "Every time you come around you put a lightning bolt on my face"), and their fangirls certainly do not help but do NOT get it twisted. These are boys ranging from 18-23 and two of the three aforementioned bands are from the UK where they aren't as uptight as those of us in the US. Maybe it's because I was like 7 when *NSYNC happened, but I don't think they ever did interviews like this. Nor do I remember them making music videos like this. (Dost mine eyes spy stomach licking?) So really, the argument that they are "too young" is a load of crock.

2. Like Any Boy Band, They Have The Looks


(Also, chances are if you're a red blooded female, you've already seen the new Ponystep photos, but just in case you missed them

(Also, I spy with my little eye a wet boy band)
Okay, maybe this was just so I could go through pages and pages of Google image results. I'm back on task now.

3. They Really Can Sing
Not that I am claiming my boys in *NSYNC and BSB can't. That would be the most blatant of all lies. However, let's take a second to listen to some of the trademark harmonies that come with boy bandom.



So, really, the "They can't sing and people only like them for their looks" argument is pretty invalid too.

4. They Have Impeccable Taste In Music
What does this have to do with anything you ask? Well, if they like good music, they are influenced by good music. You want a list of the artists that they appreciate?
One Direction: Two Door Cinema Club, The Fray, Queen, The Beatles, John Mayer and The Script.
Big Time Rush: Taking Back Sunday, Incubus, Donna Hathaway, Stevie Wonder, Radiohead and even some broadway (Shout out to Carlos for his love of Rent!)
The Wanted: Oasis, Switchfoot, Queen, Coldplay and Boyz II Men.
So now I've just made your "They aren't 'real music' and don't know what 'real music' is" argument invalid. (And quite frankly this argument just makes me angry so before I go off on a tangent, I'm gonna move on.)

5. How Can You Hate Fun Music?
We all need a little happy from time to time, don't we? I'd be lying if I said that my iPod wasn't full of deep, meaningful songs that tug at the heartstrings or that make you think. But sometimes you just don't want to think. You just want to listen to something that blatantly lays it out there for you and has a catchy beat. And since when has that ever been a bad thing? Seriously. If you don't find yourself bobbing your head at least once to any of the following songs, you probably just don't have much of a sense of fun.



Yeah. Happy music. If you have an argument against happy music, you obviously just need more of it in your life.

6. They Can Also Tug Heartstrings
On the flipside of that, everyone loves a good ballad. Everyone. Especially one that makes you feel like YOU are the person your boy band of choice is singing to.



So there goes your "They only make stupid pop music" argument.

I could probably keep going, but let's be real, at this point I'm beating a dead horse. An extra dead horse. The main point of this is to point out that the majority of people who act like they dislike boy bands so much do so because they don't realize that there is no reason to hide a true like for them. of course, if you genuinely STILL don't like them, then you legit don't like them. And cool for you because that means you probably aren't 1) A female, 2) Between the ages of 12 and 25 or 3) A "hipster" that dislikes anything that is part of the "mainstream."

2 comments:

  1. I think I'll actually stick with the Backstreet Boys, thank you very much. They arevat least MEN, and I've grown enough that I feel likeca perv liking anybof these children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Shrugs* They weren't always men lol. But to each their own :) I was never a BSB girl, I was an *NSYNC fan myself, but I can safely say that if they were still around they'd be my number one as well.

    ReplyDelete