Friday, August 3, 2012

Solo Artist of the Week: Rita Ora

http://www.facebook.com/RitaOra

We continue Girl Power Week here at Bands That Need Love Too with our Solo Artist of the Week, Rita Ora! I've seen her name here and there, pretty much on tumblr because a girl I follow is quite a big fan of her, and I always make a note to myself to give her a listen, and then never do. Luckily, thanks to The Hits Radio (again) I finally heard her.

I honestly didn't know who I was listening to when the song came on, probably because I was only half paying attention (you know, because I listen to the radio when doing homework) but I quickly switched my attention because, wow, how boss is this girl's vocals and her track?

Admittedly, she's a little more known than I like to write about, what with her twitter having 900,000+ followers, but I can justify it if we pretend no one in American knows her. (Which, isn't a LIE per say. I mean, I did have to listen to British radio to hear her.) But I digress.

After falling in love with the song, R.I.P., I took to youtube to find all I could from Ms. Ora. What I found was a strong, soulful voice backed by rockin' dance beats that'd make anyone wanna move. I mean, that's kind of the main requirement for Girl Power Week if you haven't noticed. Rita Ora is the music you put on when you just want to have a good time. Her music is the music you blast while driving downtown through the city you love.

One of her singles, "How We Do (Party)," lyrically reminds me of Katy Perry's TGIF, only I personally think Ora rocks it so much better. Why I never heard it on the radio is beyond me. "R.I.P." is a harder song with heavier beats and showcases her voice better, which is probably why I love it so much. That, and it just makes me feel like the biggest badass.

In my own, humble opinion, Rita Ora has everything to make it big. She has the voice (as is apparent in her acoustic stuff), she has beats, and she has the looks. (Honestly, the girl is freaking gorgeous, and much like with Little Mix, I would LOVE to go on a shopping adventure with her.) That, and she just seems to be a pretty cool person. I mean, she cites Tina Turner, Ella Fitzgerald, David Bowie and Gwen Stefani as some of her influences. That's just... boss.

Let's just add her to the list of awesome talent coming from the UK, yeah?

America, you'd be remiss if you didn't learn to love her, like... now.

Go Download: Here in the US of A, you can pick up her single "How We Do (Party)" on iTunes! And if you're in the UK or Ireland, you can preorder her debut album 'ORA' which is set to drop August 28. No word on when it'll be out in the US though :(





And in case you needed proof of how amazing her voice really is...

No comments:

Post a Comment