Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cherri Bomb

http://www.facebook.com/cherribombband


I don't know what it is this week, but I'm feeling particularly girl power-y. Maybe it's because of the Fab Five-- I mean, I'm STILL reeling from McKayla Maroney's vault. Dear lord girl, could you be more badass?-- or maybe it's because I just watched Kayla Harrison kick some serious butt in Judo this morning. (USA! USA! USA!) Whatever it is, I'm feeling the badass awesome girl groups. 


So today, we're gonna be talking about all girl rock band Cherri Bomb, who has not only performed at festivals like Reading, Sonisphere and now Warped, but they've performed alongside the Foo Fighters and the Smashing Pumpkins. As if I wasn't already feeling a little bad about my life with all these 15 year olds winning gold medals in the Olympics, this band is compromised of teenagers ranging from 14-16. That's right, you read that correct. Lemme just type it up again in case you need it. FOURTEEN TO SIXTEEN. What were YOU doing when you were 14? 


I can tell you what I was doing. I was a sophomore in high school with absolutely no idea at what I wanted to do with my life. Hell, I'm a month and a half away from 21 and I still am a lost cause. (In case you're masochistic and want to feel a little worse about yourself, when lead vocalist/guitarist Julia Pierce founded the band, she was 11. ELEVEN. At 11, I was mourning the end of *N'SYNC.)


That being said, I had already decided that these girls must be freaking badass, so I told my editor we should interview at Warped Tour (which we did, the video just hasn't been edited yet) and let me tell you something, they were just as awesome as I had decided they had to be. 


My first experience with their music was actually at their set that day as I shot their performance and to say I was a little shocked at the voice that came out of Pierce, because it's the sort of voice we haven't gotten from a rock female vocalist is a LONG time. Their music is quite reminiscent of the 90s female grunge that was so empowering because, hey, even girls can be rockstars, okay. 


When they performed, they performed hard, no holds barred and it just made me wanna move, alright?


So I came home and I decided to look into their album.


Now, it isn't without its faults. But look at how young they are. They have SO much more room to grown, AND, on top of that, it isn't even a bad first effort. In fact, I've heard much, MUCH worse. It's crashing guitars, angry vocals and in your face drums, which is exactly what you look for in a release like this. 


I'm glad I got to talk to these girls, because like I said, they're a bunch of badasses with rockin' music and livin' the dream that I always wanted. Keep an eye out for these ones. Before ya know it, they'll be giving some of the big rock names a run for their money. 


Go Download: You can pick up their album 'This Is the End of Control' on iTunes for just $7.99! That's like, nothing! (But if you just want one song, check out "Better This Way" because it makes me wanna throw my middle finger up in the air. Yeah.)


(These picture are just a few of the ones I got)





No comments:

Post a Comment