Sunday, July 8, 2012

Moonlight Social Revisited

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Moonlight-Social/179450492094951


So, my most ardent and loyal readers, the name Moonlight Social isn't new to you. If it is, you obviously have missed out on their original post, my feature on them and the fact that they made my Top 10 List of Discoveries for this past year. And if you're new, well, you should probably familiarize yourself with them now while you have that opportunity so readily available to you.


Now, you're probably wondering to yourself, why have they made yet another resurgence on your blog, Vicci? Well, dear reader, I'll tell you. You see, my buddies known as Moonlight Social have been mighty busy since I last wrote about them. They raised over $16,500 through their kickstarter (the original goal being set at $15,00) and they recorded their debut album--out July 21-- with Matt Noveskey of Blue October. They've been playing shows. They've been keeping fans in the loop with track-by-track videos. They just released a cover of Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men, AND, as of today, they've released their first music video. On top of all that awesome sauce (am I allowed to say awesome sauce, or does that deduct credibility points?) they've been receiving pretty good reviews from people who matter a helluva lot more than I do. You know, people like Gene Foley of Foley Entertainment who said, "Moonlight Social is the real deal. The writing, musicianship and vocals are all outstanding. These songs are as strong as anything on the radio. This is clearly an artist worth your time and attention," so now you guys can see that I'm not just saying they're great because I know them. 


It probably would have been easier to list the things they haven't been up to, but hey, the more you know.


Now, on to this music video, shall we?


The song is "Heading South," which, if you pledged $5 to them, you received for download. Honestly, it's a catchy song, and the musicality of it is superb. (It kind of makes my heart warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I know such talented people.) And what I love most about this video is that it is quite literally the video personification of what I believe embodies the band. Note, I could be way off on this one, but that's okay cuz it's my opinion. We get to see a bit of the writing process, we get to see them travel, and most importantly, you get the complete and utter sense of Texas. (There's also a pretty boss fire, but I may be a slight pyromaniac). Maybe I'm a little bit cheesy, but there is nothing I love more than the fact that when you listen this band's music, you can hear Texas. It places you in the middle of a warm day when the sun is shining as you lay in a field surrounded by bluebonnets. Sure, it's a romanticized picture of Texas, but it's Texas nonetheless, and they depict that marvelously in the video. It kind of makes me want to go outside and yell "Texas Forever!" (Friday Night Lights reference, anyone?)


Now, don't get me wrong, that in no way means they aren't accessible to everyone else. I mean, good music is for everybody really, it's just a matter of getting everybody to realize it's okay to find it good. I still stand by what I've said in the past. Moonlight Social is gonna go places. So if I were you, I'd start falling in love with them now so you can say you've been there since the first video, you know, cuz sometimes it's just cool to say you've been there from the beginning.


Go Download: PICK UP THEIR DEBUT ALBUM 'HEADING SOUTH' JULY 21!!!!


Also, after rambling for long enough, here's that video :)

No comments:

Post a Comment